*** Recipes Tutorials ***
This recipe has broccoli, mushrooms, ham, and cheddar and just enough egg to keep it together.
- 1 lb. brown or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli flowerets, cut into fairly small pieces
- 2 cups diced ham (if making this for the South Beach Diet, use lean ham with not more than 10% fat)
- 2 cups grated low-fat cheese (I used Four Cheese Mexican Blend)
- 12 eggs
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or your favorite all-purpose seasoning that's good with eggs)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 10" x 14" glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan, then saute mushrooms until they're soft and liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. While mushrooms cook, chop broccoli and bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil. Put chopped broccoli into water and cook 2-3 minutes (not longer, because the broccoli will cook more when this bakes.) Drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink, and let drain while you chop the ham.
- In a glass baking dish layer the blanched broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, diced ham, and grated cheese. Beat the eggs with the Spike Seasoning and black pepper and pour over the other ingredients. Use a fork to gently stir until all the broccoli, mushrooms, ham, and cheese are coated with egg.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top of the egg bake is slightly browned. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of low-fat sour cream if desired.
- I wouldn't freeze this, but you can bake it on the weekend and keep in the fridge for breakfasts all through the week. Reheat in the microwave for only 2-3 minutes.